Tuesday, September 18, 2007

September Song



In September, red dragonflies (are they maybe juveniles?) are flying about. We see them every day in our own yard, but I haven't been able to photograph one yet.

Yuuko-san (our piano teacher) likes to teach us Japaneses songs that go with the season of the year. So this month, she is teaching us to sing the Red Dragonfly Song. She said, "American songs are happy, but the songs of my country are all sad." The dragonfly lyrics are very wistful--longing for happy childhood days. Still, we enjoy them, and the window into Japanese culture.

To give us the opportunity to learn these songs, Yuuko-san, gave us the Japanese version of this song book. It has words and piano notation for the melodies of the songs, including the Red Dragonfly Song, which I am supposed to be learning. (I am working on it, really I am!)

Yoko Imoto's drawings charmed me from the beginning, and I hunted through the bookstore at the mall for more of her books. I found several I liked, but hesitated to buy. Since we can't read the Japanese, I would really only be buying them for the art. Then in looking for a picture for this entry, I found her books in English on Amazon. Hooray!! More ideas for our wish list.

No comments: