Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Hmmm...



Matthew did something interesting yesterday. I'm not sure what it means, but I want to write it down so I remember that I observed this at this point.

Katie, Joseph, and I were working at the family room table and Matthew was working on the floor near us, as we all usually do. Matthew had taken out the foam letters and the wooden alphabet puzzle and was lining the foam letters up on the floor.

He was working quietly when he called for my attention saying, "Mommy look this one matches with the grapes one." He was holding up the foam capital G and the wooden capital G, which covers a picture of grapes on our puzzle. I was surprised that he matched those but I just said, "Yes, that one says 'g'," giving an example of the hard g sound.

In a few minutes, he brought me the foam capital E with a sideways lower case wooden m. He put them next to each other on the floor in the line of other foam letters. Then he brought me the foam capital A and the wooden capital A and asked, "What does this one say?" "a," I told him, making the short a sound.

After a few minutes, he said, "Look at my sign, Mommy." On the floor were several lines of foam letters with the three matching wooden ones that he had found next to the corresponding foam ones. "Nice sign," I told him. "It has letters on it," he explained proudly.

He even put the foam letters away.

Today he worked on the letter puzzle again, and I noticed that he was able to get more letters in their slots independently. He moved on to the number puzzle. The numbers are harder for him, because there are a lot of ones but the colors have to match. He worked on the latches for awhile, too.

Then he and Joseph went out to the porch, and Katie and I noticed Joseph instructing him on the proper way to hold a stick to make a rifle out of it. They have been playing pioneers lately when they haven't been enhancing the fairy village in the side yard.

2 comments:

sherry said...

Your children are a joy. Smart, too!

Judy said...

Thank you very much! Not that their grandmother is partial or anything ;-)