Monday, September 8, 2008

Good Samaritans

"I have always depended on the kindness of strangers."
--Tennessee Williams, A Streetcar Named Desire

Living as we do, in a different place every few years, it is difficult to build lasting friendships. When we do make friends, we rarely live near to each other again. So it happens, in emergencies like Matthew's illness two weeks ago, that I find myself on the telephone asking for help from people whom I don't know very well.

This has happened for one reason or another in almost every place we have lived. Life happens. Especially in a family. Especially, it seems, when John is away from home. ;-)

This time, the situation was made a bit less awkward because I could call on a family who have been neighbors through several moves. But I don't like to ask for help, even when I know people a little. I prefer the illusion that we are completely self-sufficient. God, however, likes to remind me that He has put us in a community for a good reason.

Last Friday morning, when I called for assistance, the phone was unexpectedly answered by the husband of my friend.

"Uh, hi, M---."

"K's at school working on her classroom," he told me, "Would you like to call her there?"

I launched in, telling him yes, because I was at the hospital with Matthew and Meghan and the other kids were at home. Fine at the moment, but Patrick would need to go to school today and Katie and Joseph would have been okay at home until noon, when I first thought Matthew would be released, but now we were going to be there at least until the afternoon, and so was he on his way to work (i.e. to the base anyway)? and was there any way he could bring the kids to me at the hospital?

It was a family day on base, I later realized, and I suspect that this family had their own family plans. But he never let on. He called his wife, my friend, arranged for our kids to go to her classroom with their kids, then drove all the kids to the hospital first so they could see Matthew and know that he was okay. I know this cut his morning free time short and that he had other plans for that time. He did it anyway without mentioning the inconvenience.

Later in the afternoon, K called and volunteered to keep Katie and Joseph overnight if I needed to stay at the hospital again. When we were released at 7:30 p.m., she proceeded to cook extra dinner for us to take home with us.

Other acquaintances volunteered to change their family's plans and take care of the kids that day, too. Several brought dinners during the week. Even more phoned to make sure we were okay, to offer prayers, and to reassure us that they were just a phone call away for help, if needed.

It is difficult to find a way to express the gratefulness that fills my heart for the support our family received that week. I know that it's what everyone does here, with spouses and extended families often far away. But the relief I felt just knowing that there were people to call on and the relief I experienced from those who stepped in to get Patrick to school, and to care for our healthy children, and to cook our dinner is beyond description.

I am grateful to God for placing us in this community and for giving us these friends. I am grateful to Him for His care for us through the hands and hearts of our neighbors in Misawa.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

I'm glad you had angels nearby! I was so sorry to read about that hard week and I wished I lived closer to you...could we BE any farther apart??? I read this post and so completely related. I miss you. Leslie

sherry said...

It isn't that I don't worry about you, but I know you are in good hands, spiritually and physically. What wonderful people!
Most of us have no idea about the support network that is part of base-related life. It really is a blessing for our loved ones who are so far from home.