Sunday, June 21, 2009

Summer reading for pre-teen boys

This topic came up at Faith and Family connect, and I thought I would copy my suggestions here, too, so I won't forget in a couple of years when Joseph is 10-13 and looking for good summer reading.

The Redwall series was big with our older boys at that age, too. They also enjoyed Fr. Finn's books--Percy Winn, Tom Playfair, Harry Dee (at TAN books). Also Narnia and the Hobbit. we waited until about 13 for LoTR, but it depends on the child.

I just ordered some George MacDonald fairy tales to read aloud this summer to our family, and have only just started the first one myself (The Princess and the Goblin), but so far I am enjoying it. I second the idea of reading "girls' books' aloud--or via mp3--great idea!--to boys. Our guys really enjoyed Little House books, Rebecca of Sunnybrook farm, and some of the Lousia May Alcott books--little Men and Jo's Boys come to mind--read aloud when they might not have gotten into reading them on their own. we do the same for Saint stories. The kids enjoy listening, but don't necessarily read on their own unless I assign them.

Do they like animal stories? Beautiul Joe, Greyfriars Bobby, and the Irish Red series are excellent dog stories. Horse stories about boys and horses: Misty of Chincoteague (a little easy) and the rest of that series, The Black Stallion and Island Stallion series'.

Hilda van Stockum's stories are all good reading--The Winged Watchman is an exciting story set during WWII in Holland. Our family--boys and g irl alike--loves her Mitchell Family stories. How about North to Freedom (the book behind the I am David movie)? Also, try Swallows and Amazons--kids living on an island for the summer, sailing. One use of "stupid" that was unnecessary and annoyed me, but otherwise a wonderful read. Just encourage them to stick it out past the first chapter; the story gets much more exciting.

For your 13-year old, maybe In the Shadow of His Wings? Read it yourself first and see. You might wait a year or two.

No comments: