Monday, March 3, 2008

Baby stuff

As we enter the third trimester (no wonder I feel so tired!), John and I have been assessing the baby equipment situation. People have started to ask us what we need. Not much, really.

Over the years, we have discovered that most of the things on the "Baby must have" lists at stores and websites can be done without quite comfortably. We have a bassinette and a pack and play. Our crib is in storage, but the baby won't be that big before we move. Matthew barely used the crib, as he spent most nights in our bed anyway. Same with Joseph until he was ready for a toddler bed for which the three-sided version of the crib served nicely.

Knowing our family might continue to grow, we brought all our baby clothes with us.

Our dining room isn't large enough to accommodate a high chair, so we will use the booster with tray that Matthew used when we first got here.

We do need an infant car seat, but I'm pretty sure I can pick up a used one at the thrift shop on base. There are an awful lot of babies born here and as people come and go, they tend to get rid of things.

We have two strollers.

We are pondering the diaper decision. We have plenty of diaper covers already, and I am thinking seriously about buying cloth diapers and wipes. I am plenty tired of all the diaper rash poor Matthew has had to deal with while wearing disposables over the past 18 months. And I love cloth diapers. But I am so spoiled (thank you again and again, Mom and Dad) because I have never once in 5 kids had to actually launder diapers. The thought of extra loads of laundry on top of the 9 loads I already do each week is a bit daunting (yes, I know that what I really "need" is one of those gigantic front-loading washers so I could combine a load or two, but that's not going to happen until we live in the U.S. again).

Then again, Tommy will be at UD, so I won't have his laundry to do anymore.

It might be possible.... If anyone has any input about this, I would appreciate it.

So really, we don't need anything.

In spite of the fact that we don't need anything, I managed to create a new Baby Wish List blog that is listed below on the right with the kids' gift blogs from Christmas (scroll down past the prayers). IF you're interested.

No comments: