Friday, November 30, 2007

Up and Down

The posting has been a bit slim lately, and I apologize. It has to do with how I am feeling :-).

Since several of you have asked, now that the first trimester is drawing to a close, I am feeling better. The all-day-low-level nausea is fading and my pregnancy headaches are less frequent and shorter in duration. I have a bit more energy. But because of that, I have been staying off the computer and trying to catch up on all the household chores that I let slide in the past couple of months. As is usual for me, I had to figure out the hard way that I am still not back to my usual energy level. You would think I would have this figured out by now, but no, I fooled myself again.

On Wednesday, I woke up feeling great. I got up at my pre-pregnancy time in the morning, went for a walk, started the laundry, emptied the dishwasher, and took a shower before Matthew was up. I de-cluttered the entryway, taught school, and emailed the travel agent about our Christmas vacation. I did a second load of laundry--some delicates that have been sitting in the basket since before John left for England. A lady from the chapel stopped by to pick up my report on the Thanksgiving pie social expenditures. I phoned another lady to gracefully withdraw from cooking for Lifeteen each Wednesday evening (pregnancy is a great helper in my ability to say "no" to things). I cooked pasta with white sauce, shrimp and peas for dinner. Patrick and I discussed his Theology and Latin assignments. Bedtime was only about 1/2 an hour later than usual.

On Thursday morning, I couldn't get up when the alarm went off: slammed with a headache that kept me in bed well past breakfast time. Thanks be to God for my dear older children, who fed Matthew and got to work on their lessons without me. Thanks be to God for a commitment-free day and leftover sloppy joe filling in the freezer.

Today, I did a lot of driving, but not so much doing. And I'm off to bed early tonight, since Patrick and John are at an OA campout. Patrick is on the Ordeal team and has been working hard to get everything ready the last few days. They are sleeping outside tonight--with extra-warm bags and liners and tarps. It is supposed to rain or snow by morning. For their sakes, I hope it is snow!

Before bed tonight, we will begin a Novena in preparation for the Feast of the Immaculate Conception. I wanted to make a candle for this, but haven't been able to yet. Maybe we will work on it a little each day during the novena instead. I have to remember to relax and readjust and do what's most important, or what will mean the most to the children. I really do want to enjoy every moment of the coming season.

Tomorrow, it will be time to change our little altar and fall table for the new season: Advent. That (and more laundry) is my only plan for the day.

No comments: