Saturday, March 24, 2012

Lent: a happier post

So instead of wallowing in failure, I thought I would make a list of the things that are blessing us in the way I hoped they would this Lent--or at least the ones we feel successful at. ;-)

1. Friday Stations of the Cross. I love this devotion, and our parish has a wonderful tradition of offering a soup and bread supper (and many yummy meatless casseroles) afterwards. My favorite thing about this is the chance to visit with fellow Catholics during dinner. We don't get much time to chat on Sunday mornings as we all run off to Religious Ed.with the kids.

2. Daily Mass. Well, three days a week, which is when it is offered at our parish. We have gotten there almost every day of Lent, and only  missed when one of the kids was sick. Sometimes the pastor is sick, and this week when that happened, the regulars read the readings together in the chapel. A nice sense of community is building between us, which I love.

3. Lenten Adventure. A friend (from women's Bible study and daily Mass--see how these things work?) just told me about this website (thanks to my mom, we have many of their Glory Stories CDs and a few coloring books, but I never knew about the website). We are playing catch-up with Lenten Adventure, but it seems well-designed, and the kids are having fun with it. Since we are joining so late and our mail takes so long (weeks and weeks sometimes) to get here, I didn't think I could order now and hope to receive their pre-printed calendars before the end of Lent, so I made some for the kids to fill in. 

My version of the calendar is not pretty, but serviceable.
Next year, we will know about this before Lent is half over and can buy the professional-looking one that they sell in 10-packs. Maybe I can even order in time to share with cousins or friends, since we might be back in the USA and have normal mail service. :D

 
Their free stuff (daily videos online and printable coloring and activity pages) is entertaining and gently catechetical. The Sunday "Mass Quiz" reinforces some of the things we talk about at the brunch table: "What were the readings about today? What did Father say about them in his homily? How do they relate to us?" So for kids who like workbook-y things, as mine do, this is fun stuff.

4. First Communion preparation. Thankfully. Because it has been lovely to work with Catholic Heritage Curricula's program again. Goodness. Beauty. Truth.  Deo Gratias!

5. Confession. Once a month. This is working for us. Yay!

6. Nota bene: John is doing much better than I am. He has a beautiful daily prayer routine that is a great example for me. Not that you were thinking this, but I wanted you know that my failures aren't due to a lack of spiritual leadership in our home. It's my sloth. And overscheduling. ;-)

No comments: