Friday, March 16, 2012

Disappointing

I recently Shared this bit of wisdom on FaceBook:

"America needs no words from me to see how your decision in Roe v. Wade has deformed a great nation. The so-called right to abortion has pitted mothers against their children and women against men. It has sown violence and discord at the heart of the most intimate human relationships. It has aggravated the derogation of the father's role in an increasingly fatherless society. It has portrayed the greatest of gifts -- a child -- as a competitor, an intrusion, and an inconvenience. It has nominally accorded mothers unfettered dominion over the independent lives of their physically dependent sons and daughters"
"And, in granting this unconscionable power, it has exposed many women to unjust and selfish demands from their husbands or other sexual partners. Human rights are not a privilege conferred by government. They are every human being's entitlement by virtue of his humanity. The right to life does not depend, and must not be declared to be contingent, on the pleasure of anyone else, not even a parent or a sovereign."
- Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta
Source: uCatholic.com

A "Friend" had these comments about it:

"I respect your opinion but I think most folks like us use FB to keep in touch with those we care about and not express political and religious views..."

and

"Regarding the whole Roe v. Wade thing all I can say is that I don't think abortion should be a form of birth control. That said, I will never get pregnant so I can't tell people who can what they should or should not do. As I age I see very little is binary and life's issues deal with shades of grey. I have had a hard enough time figuring out what is right for me that I can't, in good conscience, tell those I don't know what is right for them."

The first comment strikes me as typical for two reasons. First, the truth always hurts whether one agrees or not. Better not to throw it around--it might hit someone! Don't express your controversial views so that I won't have to think to hard about the consequences of my actions (or in-actions). Secondly, it's a reflection of the larger message of our culture that only "politically correct" opinions should be voiced. No crucifixes, no Ten Commandments, no God in the public forum! Who in the world would want to say something like that?

The second comment is also typical in that it's a variation of the Cuomo theme--personally opposed, but... There are so many problems with the argument (if it even is one), it's hard to know where to start.

There's the implication that we each get to decide what's right and wrong. What about God? I thought that was His job!

Next, exactly which "shade of grey" allows a person to kill another person? If you're saying it's okay to kill someone during the first nine months of their existence, what's to stop Mom from "off"-ing her two or three year old. They can be pretty trying, you know, and very inconvenient! Never mind teenagers...

Doesn't this "exception" to "Thou shalt not commit murder" call into question our entire legal system? Why do we agree to have any laws at all? Every single one of them is telling each of us what is right and what's not.

I'm sure there are many other points that could be extracted from these lame attempts to "be nice." Please comment to let me know what I missed.

1 comment:

Judy said...

An essay here
http://catholicexchange.com/personally-opposed-but/
on just this point.

And I have to ask, if someone considers him-(or her-)self your friend, wouldn't conversations about important topics like this be part of the expectation for friendship? If I am someone's friend, I expect that we might not agree about everything and that we could have a rational conversation and learn from each other's perspectives about the issues of the day. Have we reached the point where we are so politically correct that we cannot even express an opinion without people saying, "shush, better not to talk about that in public"?

If so, Mother Teresa was more than right about our poverty.