Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Survivor Journal - Chapter 7

Yesterday
There was something especially interesting about the sky yesterday evening.  It must have been a precursor of the perfect, spring weather we had today.


Without too much planning, I found all the ingredients for spaghetti with meat sauce, green beans and garlic bread.




Signs of Spring
When I arrived home from work today, I found the changing of the seasons in our front garden.  The very last pile of snow is just a couple feet from the very first blossoms.  The late afternoon light shed an unusual perspective on the crocuses.






Dinner

It had to happen sooner or later...  I had ramen for dinner.  Of course, Wednesday is always a challenge, culinarily-speaking.  This time it was my own fault for not planning ahead.  I supplemented the shrimp ramen with salad and buttered bread.  My dear wife is shaking her head at the combination of noodles and bread.  She's right, of course, but it was the end of the loaf, it was getting stale, and it either needed to be eaten or thrown out.  I ate most of it...



What we were really doing that day...
Everyone else will remember 3/11 because of the earthquake and tsunami, but I'm choosing to remember it for what we were doing before the disaster struck.  We had the best day of skiing ever!  Maybe that's not saying much--it was only my fourth time.  Still, it was waaay better than the last time I really skied and ended up with a concussion!  Here we are at the top of a run at Hachimantai Ski Resort, which is at the base of Iwate-san (Mt Iwate).





I took this last picture of Matthew just a couple minutes before the ground started shaking...

No comments: