Saturday, January 3, 2009

A partridge in a pear tree

Photo credit: Katie Riordon

Rather, a Green Pheasant in a crabapple tree.

Photo credit: Katie Riordon

Make that TWO Green Pheasants.


Photo credit: Katie Riordon

We often see one and keep trying for photos, but haven't been very successful.



When I went closer, this gentleman got nervous.
I'll be on my way now.


Oh, okay, just one last pose.


By the time I looked up from the camera, he had flown off.

The Green Pheasant is the Japanese national bird. Like the California Quail and Ring-necked Pheasants we knew in Yakima, the males and females live separately in winter. In the spring, we see them together. Last winter, they nested in the little woods behind our house. We frequently saw the females, but the male is more secretive. Just about the time someone said "Hey, the pheasant is in the yard," he raced into the woods. No photos for him.

We did get these unsatisfying shots of one of the mamas and older chicks in the fall.



You can see why we didn't share them with you then. There were six or seven chicks. I hope there is another successful brood this spring. I love seeing them scooting around the yard and around the neighborhood. And I'm hoping for better photos. :-)

No comments: