Monday, August 4, 2008

2 months

Meghan's two-month check-up was yesterday afternoon. She weighs 12 lbs, 13 ozs (93rd percentile) and is 24 3/8 inches long (98th percentile). Her head measurement, 15 3/4 inches, remains solidly in the 75th percentile. Dr. H said she looked great and especially admired her baby-style yukata.



Hot and humid August days require light, breathable clothing and hats here, and the Japanese have the cutest answers to the problem.

The only sad thing about the check-up was that Meghan had to have her first immunizations. Sigh...holding down a baby to receive shots is my least favorite mommy job. Afterwards, she nursed and dozed off, but then seemed to wake and had a very strange reaction--she seemed asleep with her eyes open , for lack of a better way to describe it. She did not respond readily when I tried to get her attention. Thankfully I was still at the hospital when it happened, but even so, it was scary. After about 30 seconds (or maybe less, passage of time was not clear to me), she woke up and focused her eyes on me and on other things around us and seemed subdued, but more normal.

After about ten more minutes she fell asleep in the normal way, but when she woke up, she was not her usual cheerful self. But then, who would be when you had just been stuck with two needles and fed the yucky rotavirus oral vaccine? By the bedtime feeding, she was back to her normal self, fussy when wet and hungry, happy and smiling afterwards, chatting with her pandas.

I've been administering infant Tylenol for her sore leg and hoping she won't have a fever today, since we have to take Katie to play rehearsal and afterwards some friends are coming for a visit.

I'm also thinking of delaying any more vaccines because of her strange reaction. I need to talk with Dr. H about that, but it really spooked me. Am I crazy for thinking of doing that? Has anyone else experienced this? I'm on baby number six and I haven't seen it before, but usually they fall asleep and don't awaken for awhile after vaccines, so maybe I just never noticed it?

In any case, she's sleeping peacefully next to me at the moment. Figures this would happen when John isn't home. Things always seem worse when he's away.

Update: It's Thursday and she has been totally fine and normal every day. Smiling and cooing as usual. Hooray!

1 comment:

sherry said...

I've never heard of that reaction, Judy, but it does seem that it would have been vaccine-induced. However, there are many things that the doctor will say are "common reactions" that I have never heard of. One thing I remember with you is that we took you on a ride on in a noisy motor boat when you were little, less than two,, and you were afraid. You then fell asleep for the duration of the ride, and we were told that sometimes children do this as a way of coping with the fear/stress.

I'm glad she is doing okay now. She sure looks cute in her yukata.