Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Boys...girls...and age differences


Since we're past Easter now, I'm tempting nature by washing the snow gear today. Usually, I don't check pockets when I do the laundry. Every child has been warned that if it's left in a pocket, it's mine, and they are (usually) good about emptying things out. But I hadn't told anyone that I was washing coats and snow pants, so I thought I should check.

Matthew has 4 pockets in his winter coat. In them, I found:
-one Nerf dart (kind of surprised there weren't more of these, actually)
-two granola bar wrappers (glad he didn't throw them on the ground somewhere ;-))
-a slightly rusty Heineken beer bottle cap (for the collection, presumably)
-Lego pieces: sword, shield (broken, but the pieces are both present), tricorner hat, and a brown, claw-like thing: is it a hand for a Lego person?
-one penny

Meghan's 4 coat pockets were emptier:
-one granola bar wrapper
-one used tissue (this poor girl has been sick almost as often as Benedict this winter)
-blue beaded bracelet
-two holy medals that fell off the bracelet (in a different pocket)
-one ponytail holder
-a note from a friend

Joseph's coat pockets:
Were empty. Except...
I could tell there was something in the coat, more than one something, and one something that felt like his wallet, but I couldn't find the pocket. Finally, I called Joseph over to empty it. Aha! The hidden ski pass pocket! It held:
-wallet
-mini-lightsaber/flashlight
-pen
-one AAA battery

It's funny what you observe about people when you see what they carry in their pockets.




No comments: