Saturday, July 12, 2008

Catching our breath

As Mom and Dad departed, my post-baby rest also ended.

We hit the ground running Monday morning with Vacation Bible School on base. Everyone but John was involved this year, and Tommy and Patrick made it great fun with their daily opening skits. Katie and Joseph enjoyed the crafts, stories, and other activities. Matthew and Meghan helped me help the music director teach the kids a couple of songs each day. Our hard work paid off when the kids performed some of the songs for their parents at the closing gathering yesterday.

We also had to say goodbye to another great family this week. Katie will miss her friend Claire very much, and I will miss visiting with Claire's mom on Sundays and at CWOC (the women's group at church). It's a challenge for a person who tends to be introverted in the military environment. It takes me awhile to build up to friendships, and while I love the community and the openness of almost everyone I meet, often just as I feel I am beginning to know a person, she has to move on (or I do). Still, I am grateful for these short friendships that God leads me toward. My life would be much poorer without them.

We wish them well in their new assignment and rejoice with them that they will be near home and family this time. Godspeed!

Today, I am settling down. Enjoying being in the house for more than sleeping. Tunneling my way through the mountains of laundry that have not been done while we were out. Grateful for early rain that led to canceled ball games to clear the day and afternoon sun to bleach Meghan's diapers. Listening to the cheerful shouts of my two middle children playing ball in the yard for the first time with the Japanese neighbor's grandchildren. Happy for the scent of cut grass and the promise of watermelon for dessert tonight. Summer is here.

No comments: