Sunday, April 27, 2008

The Mystery of Motherhood

Melanie quoted a blog with some thoughts about nursing and the Eucharist that sound a bit like my own recent musings.

I mentioned the other day that I have found myself contemplating the mystery of motherhood more during this pregnancy than any other. When I was nursing Matthew, the connection of the words "this is my body given up for you" gave me great comfort. And in this sixth full-term pregnancy, they have come back to me again and again.

When John and I first began to learn about Pope John Paul II's Theology of the Body, we ran across a Mary Foundation CD of a talk by Christopher West called "Marriage and the Eucharist." In it, West links the spousal gift of the body to Christ's gift of Himself in the Eucharist.

Over time, the gift of the body for another and its relation to Christ's gift of Himself have become a part of the way I think about marital love. Through my recent musings on why pregnancy is so physically, mentally, and spiritually demanding, in addition to directing a bit of mental scolding at Eve, these ideas of self-gift have been working themselves into my thoughts about motherhood.

The connections between the Eucharist and motherhood, sacrifice and love, pain and joy, all come together in these moments of sciatica and stretch marks, exhaustion and mental vacancy, awkward waddling and getting stuck in chairs: those small and great things suffered to give life to another. This also happens as I nurse my babies: my time is not my own, my body is not my own, and my brain still seems absent. Although I love babies and I love nursing them, with each of our children I have also had times when I wondered when--or if--I would ever find my way back to myself again.

Now I am beginning to wonder if I am not more deeply myself in those moments of pain and anguish and frustration and exhaustion. Because in those moments of self-giving, I am most deeply in need of Christ and at the same time most closely connected to Him: physically connected to His sacrifice, just as when I receive Him, body, b lood, soul, and divinity, in the Eucharist. In those moments, I can brush my fingertips against the fringe of his mantle. I can reach out to touch Him, and in response, He will heal me with His presence, with His word, with His peace. If I pay attention; if I enter into this mystery of motherhood, it will bring me to Christ, and it will help me to reflect Christ.

This vocation of sacrifice that God has given me is my path to heaven. It is the path of every mother. And in it, we reside with His Son. The mystery of motherhood is inextricably connected to Christ's sacrifice for us, the Mystery of the Eucharist: "This is my body, which is given for you." (Luke 22:19)

2 comments:

Taryn said...

Thank you for this post, Judy. It expresses a lot of what I felt (and tried to feel) when I was struggling with nursing this time last year.

Judy said...

You're way ahead of me :) With our first ones, I really wasn't thinking spiritually at all. God has been so patient. Of course, maybe that's why we needed all these babies--to finally begin to see it His way.