Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Grocery Shopping


I took Patrick's camera to the local grocery store with me yesterday because I wanted to show you these apples. Notice the price for 1 apple. To convert yen to dollars, move the decimal point two places to the left. Yep, it's about $1.98 per apple.


smaller apples

Produce here is phenomenally expensive (Click on the photos to see a larger version). Our main consolation: the produce is always fresh and delicious. No grainy apples or peaches here. We have never had even a single moldy berry from this store.


peaches

Once I was inside, I thought that you might like to see what else I see each week.


Universe exterior
(on Sundays this parking lot is completely full)


grocery aisles

The store looks about the same as any U.S. grocery store from the outside. And the aisles are set up like an American grocery store with produce, fish and meats, dairy, and the bakery around the perimeter and everything else you can think of in the aisles in between.


octopus

the bakery
Crab is only .38/100 grams. Bread prices are comparable to the US. So is milk.


crab

It's always an adventure to shop here. Produce is easy to figure out, but many other products are a guess, and some guesses are better than others. ;-)

shopping cart

There is a campaign throughout Japan to get more people to carry reusable shopping bags instead of the ubiquitous plastic grocery bags. They sell many styles. This one entertained me because I'm sure that it fails in translation. But it makes me smile.


shopping bag


Thanks for shopping with me!




No comments: